Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Tamale Christmas

My family enjoyed a quiet Christmas here in Guatemala City. It was just our family, and we enjoyed the time together. A traditional holiday meal here in Guatemala consists of tamales, and poncha (a drink much like wassail). Since my husband had tried tamales before and loved them I decided I would embark on this mission! My housekeeper told me how to prepare this meal and what I would need. Then while I was at the store a helpful lady who could tell I was a newbie at this helped me find what I needed. So I tried, and failed! My housekeeper (Carolina), called me Christmas Eve to make sure I didn't need any help, and to see if she could come over and assist! This lady is amazing! I gave up and made something a lot less complicated. The day after Christmas Carolina shows up with a platter of Tamales and a jug of Poncha, mind you she has traveled for about an hour by bus and on foot! I love this woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment