Thursday, February 5, 2009

How to Say NO

I think as a woman, and as an LDS woman there are certain rules of etiquette that apply when being asked to do something.

From the time we attend our first dance we're told you have to say Yes, when in fact we'd rather sit in the bathroom avoiding the Snowball Dance all together. We say Yes of course, and hope it's a short song, and that he's worn deodorant.

Now that I am older and feel like I can say No, it's harder for me to do this. I think too often we think we are Wonder Woman and can take on anything. Whether we're asked to do things for church, our kid's school, work, or our husband's job...the list goes on and on. We can fill our days with volunteer opportunities, church callings, work, just life in general. But I've decided to make a point of weeding out those things that aren't absolutely necessary. My husband and kids are and will always be my #1 priority. And I think I need to make my actions reflect this.

Sorry, if I've used this time to vent a little, but after spending this week in pointless: meetings, trips, classes...I've decided to take action and use my ability to say No now!

3 comments:

  1. (in a creepy voice) Snowbaaaallll...
    AAHHH! that used to freak me out, I hated that snowball dance. And actually, I did usually run for the bathroom or parking lot when they started it. Ugh. Good for you Bev! I hope you're saying no works out well. I say yes way too often for my own good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rach-Babe- I totally hid out in the bathroom too! Probably in the stall next to you. And your rendition of "Snowball" made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm working on the saying no thing myself-no big deal right? Actually I think it's harder than I thought it would be as I'm busy running around saying no to things I've already said yes too. Oh well.....

    ReplyDelete